Version June 2011
The International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing is a non-governmental organization devoted to the development of international cooperation for the advancement of the photogrammetry, remote sensing, and spatial information sciences (SIS, GIS and LIS), and their applications. The Society operates without discrimination on the grounds of race, religion, nationality, or political philosophy. ISPRS is a 'Society of National and Regional Societies', which are Ordinary Members, Associate Members and Regional Members from over 100 countries around the world, from which individuals are derived to participate in Society activities
The official ISPRS publications are:
- The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences are a series of Volumes containing the proceedings and the scientific and technical presentations of:
- each Congress, edited and distributed by the Member organization responsible for the Congress,
- Technical Commission Symposia, and
- selected conferences, workshops and tutorials.
- The ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing is the official publication of the Society. It contains peer reviewed scientific and technical articles in the fields of the photogrammetry, remote sensing, and spatial information sciences (SIS, GIS and LIS), and as such, endeavours to be a primary channel of communication on the scientific activities of ISPRS, for specialists in all countries working in the many disciplines applying photogrammetry and remote sensing, and spatial information systems.
- The ISPRS International Journal for Geo-Information is an open access journal publishing articles in the area of spatial information sciences.
- The ISPRS Book Series is for the publication of high quality papers from ISPRS meetings and for special publications. Material in the Book Series is of the highest quality and is peer reviewed.
- The ISPRS eBulletin is the official bulletin of the Society. If contains such items as the ISPRS Annual Report, general news of ISPRS activities, event reports of ISPRS sponsored conferences, keynote speeches, book, project and technology reviews, minutes of Council and Technical Commission meetings, calls for papers, the Calendar of events, member and officer lists, etc.
- The quadrennial publication ISPRS Organization and Programs (Silver Book) contains the structure and organisation of ISPRS with listings of all Commission and WGs, terms of reference (ToR) and officer addresses; ToR of ISPRS Awards; Statutes and Bylaws; and other ISPRS background information.
- The annual publication ISPRS Member List (Blue Book) is published to provide Members, officers and interested groups with current addresses of Members and Commission Correspondents.
Special circulars and announcements are published periodically to provide information on Congresses, Symposia and other activities of ISPRS.
The scientific and technologic activities of ISPRS are the responsibility of the eight Technical Commissions and their nominated Working Groups. The Ordinary Member organisation selected to host each Technical Commission is elected by the General Assembly at each quadrennial ISPRS Congress. Ordinary Members submit bids to take on this responsibility for a four-year term. Guidelines, describing the responsibilities of Ordinary Members that take on this responsibility are given in section 2. Working Groups (WG) are appointed by the Technical Commissions, following approval by the ISPRS Council. Guidelines for the conduct of a WG are found in section 3.
This manual presents information on:
- the responsibilities of the ISPRS Technical Commissions and Working Groups and procedures to ensure efficient operation
- the relationships between the Technical Commission President (TCP) and the WG Chairs and Co-Chairs
- the responsibilities of WG Chairs and Co-Chairs
- arrangements for ISPRS sponsored meetings
- ISPRS publication policies
- relevant ISPRS Guidelines and general ISPRS procedures.
The Manual is intended to ensure that such a diverse organisation as ISPRS will be able to operate in an efficient manner, with all contributing parties being aware of the accepted procedures and conventions operating within the Society. It is also placed on the ISPRS Home Page (www.isprs.org).