Seven projects win ISPRS Education and Capacity Building Initiatives 2024 (ECBI2024) awards
The ISPRS Education and Capacity Building Initiatives are defined in the ISPRS Orange Book, Appendix 9b (https://www.isprs.org/documents/orangebook/app9b.aspx. Every two years applications are invited for proposals and a total of up to CHF70,000 is awarded.
A number of strong applications was received for the SI2024s. These usually come up through the Working Groups, then the Technical Commission Presidents, who provide input to the adjudication process. Finally, a small panel chosen from ISPRS Council makes the final decisions.
Seven ECBI2024 proposals were given awards, which total around CHF64,000. The titles and principal investigators of these projects are as follows (see https://www.isprs.org/society/ecbi/default.aspx for more detail):
- SUNRISE (Seashore and UNderwater documentation of aRchaeological herItage palimpSests and Environment) SUMMER SCHOOL – second edition (Lorenzo Teppati Los)
- EDU-UAV photogrammetry: current online educational landscape (Yolla Al Asmar, Bashar Alsadik)
- POSER: an oPen sOurce Simulation platform for tEaching and tRaining underwater photogrammetry (Fabio Menna)
- From forests to 3D digital models: training new generations on 3D geodata surveying and analysis (3DForTrain) (Francesco Pirotti, Erico Kutchartt)
- Empowering education and capacity building focusing on natural disasters based on GeoAI and computer vision (Saied Pirasteh, Laurent Polidori, Kaveh Madani, Jonathan Li)
- Development of VR/AR applications to support geospatial education (Dimitrios Bolkas)
- Innovative training unit for civil engineers on remote sensing for construction impact assessment (Roman Shults)
ISPRS congratulates these winners and wishes them every success with their projects. Funding is for one calendar year for six of the projects and is spread over two years for the seventh. Once the projects are complete, the resulting reports will be posted on the ISPRS website.