In memory of Prof. Dr. Eduard Doležal, the Austrian Society for Surveying and Geoinformation, in 1992, has established an award which will be presented according to the following regulations on the occasion of the Congress of the International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, beginning with the 18th Congress in Vienna.
Prof. Dr. Eduard Doležal was born the son of a weaver on 2 March 1862 in Budwitz, Moravia, studied mathematics and physics in Vienna, and in 1889 became a teacher of mathematics at the Technical Secondary School in Sarajevo, Bosnia. In 1905, he was offered a chair in practical geometry at the Technical University in Vienna. Three years later, in 1908, he was elected president of the University.
As early as 1896, he wrote a paper about "The Application of Photography to Practical Measuring Tasks". On 5 May 1907, he founded the Austrian, and on 4 July 1910, the International Society for Photogrammetry. He served as first president of ISP until 1926. Doležal founded the International Archives for Photogrammetry and edited the first six volumes (1908 - 1923). He also organized the first International Congress for Photogrammetry (24 - 26 September 1913) in Vienna. He died, showered with honors, on 7 July 1955 in Baden near Vienna.
Those who knew Doležal always spoke highly of his social awareness, his visions, and his methodical work, all of which aimed at international cooperation. Thus, it is fitting that this award, named after the founding father of ISP(RS), should acknowledge these qualities. The Eduard Doležal Award specifically encourages activities which, in a well-organized way, permanently and effectively promote the photogrammetry, remote sensing and spatial information sciences. His social awareness will be emphasized by considering only candidates from developing countries.
The Eduard Doležal Award is a grant for furtherance, aimed to assist individuals or representatives of institutions from developing countries to participate in the ISPRS Congress.
The Eduard Doležal Award consists of a certificate provided to ISPRS by the Austrian Society for Surveying and Geoinformation, complimentary registration provided by the respective Congress organizer, and a limited travel and expense grant from the Eduard Doležal Fund. The grant is to cover travel and residence expenses for at least one participant to attend the Congress. In the case of short distance journeys, multiple grants may be awarded.
The Austrian Society for Surveying and Geoinformation shall serve as trustee to the Eduard Doležal Fund. The amount of grant funds available for distribution will be communicated to ISPRS Secretary General nine months before each ISPRS Congress.
Applications or nominations must include all the particulars noted in Article 5, and must be filed with ISPRS Secretary General no later than seven months before the beginning of an ISPRS Congress.
Candidates for the Eduard Doležal Award must meet the following requirements:
- They shall have completed their studies in one of the branches represented by the ISPRS Commissions, with the foundation of their education in the subjects covered by the photogrammetry, remote sensing, and spatial information sciences.
- They must present documentary evidence which demonstrates that they have permanently implemented a practical application of photogrammetry, remote sensing or GIS in an efficient manner; or which documents their outstanding success in a field that supports the photogrammetry, remote sensing and spatial information sciences.
- They must be citizens of a developing country.
If multiple Eduard Dolezal Awards are granted, the winners must be of different citizenships.
The jury for the Eduard Dolezal Award shall consist of:
- The President of ISPRS (head of jury).
- The Secretary General of ISPRS.
- The President of the Austrian Society for Surveying and Geoinformation or its delegate to the ISPRS General Assembly.
- A representative of the United Nations.
The jury shall decide no later than five months before the beginning of an ISPRS Congress. Decisions will be made by a majority. In the case of a tie, the head of jury casts the deciding vote.
The Eduard Doležal Award will be granted on the occasion of the ISPRS Congress by the President of ISPRS jointly with the delegate of the Austrian Society for Surveying and Geoinformation. The founding of ISPRS by Prof. Dr. mult. Eduard Doležal shall be called to mind during presentation of the Award.
Amendments approved by Austrian Society and ISPRS Council on 21 August 2003
Amendments approved by Austrian Society and ISPRS Council on 30 November 2023
The winners of the award
- 1996 Karel Sukup (Czech Republic)
- 2000 P. Tarikhi (Iran), U.R. Rao (India), and I. Katzarsky (Bulgaria)
- 2004 Jiang Jie (China)
- 2008 Nguyen Dinh Duong (Vietnam)
- 2012 George Sithole (Zimbabwe)
- 2016 P.V Radhadevi (India)
- 2020 Damdinsuren Amarsaikhan (Mongolia)